Saturday, May 26, 2012

Musical Diversity Challenge

I'm sure there are people out there in the world who listens to one type of music and one type only. I know I used to be that way when I was a kid, only listening to southern gospel or country until my dad made me listen to other types of music besides that. He told me that there was other types of music out there in the world besides southern gospel and country. I believe now, he was getting tired of me playing those two styles of music.

My brother got wind of it and brought me some CD to listen to, also believe my dad told him about it for help because my brother used to be a music teacher, turned English teacher. Anyway he brought me a new CD every time he would visit us and each time it would be different. They would be from anything from Irish to Opera to music from the sixties. At first I would hate them and would try to give them back to my brother but he would always sneak them back to me, challenging me to listen to them. and since I worshiped my older brother, at the time, I would take up his challenge and listened to them. by the next visit, I couldn't wait to hear the next CD he brought me to listen too.

Now-a-days, I still listen to different types of music but my all time favorites have to be from the sixties, Irish and bluegrass but mostly Irish. If fact now, I just began listening to music from the big band era, mainly between the world wars era. So far I like listening to Andrew Sisters, you would know them better by the song "boogie Qoogie bugle boy from company B."

So I would like to issue a challenge to you all. is there one style of music out there that you listen too and can't stand to listen to what someone else listens too? Well nows' the chance, ask them the next time you see them what they are listening too and see if you can borrow their CD or get the name of the artist and look them up. Or go to the nearest public library and ask for their music selections and start from there. You'll be surprised to see what kinds of music you may like in the end. I know I did...

Here are just some samples of music to listen too:

The Mystic's Dream - Loreena McKennit
Irish Flute Music
Celtic Woman - A New Journey - Mo Ghile Mear
Japaneses Drum Preformance
Chinese Traditional Song
Yanni
Charlotte Church - Dream a Dream
The Andrews Sisters - Boogie Woogie...
Dola Re Dola (Bollywood)














No comments:

Post a Comment