Saturday, March 31, 2012

Why do people write YA books?

Just as the title says, why do people write young adult books? I was going to write about why I choose to write YA but then I got to thinking, there are others out there like me who writes YA. Why not ask other writers and authors the same question. So I did just that, I've asked them to answer the question in one to two paraghraphs why they write YA books. Here are their responses to my question:


Tricia Drammeh: The Claiming Words
Why Do I Write YA?

When I made the decision to write a novel, I naturally gravitated toward YA, and I think I did that for two reasons. The first reason, of course, is that I love reading young adult books. The second reason is because my children are able to read what I write. Books written for the adult age group would be off-limits to my younger children, but with my YA books, I don’t have to worry about my kids picking up my book and reading it. And, I don’t have to worry about traumatizing my parents or other family members who decide to check out what I’ve been doing with my time for the last two years.

I love writing for young adults because the style is straightforward, fast-paced, and fun. I think young adult books have the most widespread appeal; the writing is sophisticated enough to appeal to adults, but the subject matter (in most cases) is appropriate for a wide range of age groups. YA books range from teen romance to fantasy to adventure, so there’s something for everyone and the possibilities are unlimited. I can definitely say I’m proud to be a YA author.


Hope Welsh: Linked (Prophecy Book One)
I have recently started writing YA. As a former English teacher, I discovered that getting kids to read was difficult. As a student myself years ago, I loved to read, but most books just weren't geared toward kids my age.

It was all either middle-grade or younger. Now, a teen can find books that will appeal to them on many levels. I think overall, we are going to be improving the reading skills of our children.

I write it so because -- to be honest -- it's just fun to write.

Dave Crews: Slinker-Evasion & The Chemo Diaries 
In all honesty, I'm not sure. I write stories that appeal to me first and foremost, and I believe this to be true of all authors. The fact that I myself am a 'YA' would obviously have some influence. But at the same time, I don't think that as I grow up I will write more grown up books. At heart, I will still enjoy writing for YAs, and I think all adults enjoy a good read of some book to fulfil their inner child.

Shaina Cilimberg: Perfect Forgiveness (Deep River High Series)
I write YA because I love teens and think they have a voice to be heard. I also want to bring them to or closer to God. They are fun to write for. I think they're adorable

K.A. Jack: Land of Midnight Days
Why I write YA fantasy?

When I first decided to write speculative fiction, I went down the “traditional” route. By that I mean
I tried my hand at heroic or high fantasy and failed abysmally. Trying to emulate such classic writers as Robin Hobb, David Gemmel and even Tolkein, got me nowhere. Then I was introduced to the works of urban fantasy writer Jim Butcher and my writing life changed forever. A blend of mythology, faerie, horror and dark fantasy, Butcher’s Harry Dresden series lit up my world.

I’ve always been fascinated by urban decay and on train journeys to and from work I’d pass docks,
warehouses, abandoned train stations and so on. They called out to me and provided me with the backdrop to my first YA novel: Land of Midnight Days. But why YA, why not adult? I’d always resisted people’s suggestions that I write for children, but my main protagonist in Midnight consistently came across as a lot younger than intended. However, the background to his story contains scenes too dark for very young children; so I compromised and decided to aim for young adults. It’s the best decision I ever made. I’ve finally found, what I believe, is my writing niche.

You can visit her website here:
http://kateannejack.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/the-land-of-midnight-days/

Michel Prince: Chrysalis
I think I'm stuck at age twenty...a little older than the normal YA character, but similar mentality. I like writing YA because that's a time in your life when everything is there for you. Much like people who write characters that have a lot of money so they have no limitations, I see the same thing with YA. You're in high school. You're not tied down with a job, house or responsibilities outside of going to school.

You still have stressors that can you change your life, but you also have the redemptive nature of youth.

Noelle J. Alabaster: Dark Origins
I enjoy writing YA because it's very widespread. There are a lot of ideas that can be used for a YA novel. I also want there to be books out there that are okay for teens to read--books that they can read without worrying if their parents will approve of the content

As for me, Dylan Knight: Rush Against Time
I write YA books because I'm still young at heart. I write them because in some ways, I still think like a young adult. When I was a kid there were very many books that were geared towards my age. Back then I had heard of the Hardy Boy Adventures but they were out of print, the ocal library never arried the series and the ones they did have were too old and very fagile because they had been read so many times before I was even born.

Now, I just write what I wanted to read when I was a kid and I must say it's very fun in doing so. You could call it a guilty pleasure.
To visit the offical website click on the link below:
Dylan Knight Series



As we have discovered there are many differnt reasons why people write YA books. Some writes action adventure, romance and even fantasy and all in between. But I do believe that we all the same reason in the end, we write YA books because it's fun to write.

Happy Writing Everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Greg, for the opportunity to be linked to such great authors. I love reading about the various reasons other authors choose (or fall into) YA. Great post!

    ReplyDelete