Monday, January 9, 2012

Old TV Series and Today's Youth

Earlier today I had the chance to watch a childhood show that I used to watch with my parents and maybe with your as well. The show is called Murder She Wrote with Angelia Lansbury. It brought back alot of found memories and it really cheered my mother up as she watched it with me. She used to love the show when it was on and I don't blame her, I loved it too. This brings up a question to ask and I'll get to it later.
There's a show that is on TV right now called restoration, where a guy has openned up a shop to restore antiques and other collectable things for years gone by. On one particular show a man had brought in an old antique wood stove that said to be used on the set of Bonanza. While they were working to restore it back to show room looks, one of the younger guys, who looked to be in his twenties, asked what it was. The guy who was repairing it said it was a wood stove. In reply this same young man said a what? And the guy said  wood stove. I'm like okay, he had a long day because he worked on something that took him way into the night to finish and he had finished it. So I gave him the benifiet of the doubt.

The guy working on the stove continued to explain that it was part of a tv show called Bonanza. This is what floored me. The same guy who had asked what a wood stove was also asked what the name of the show was. And what he kept on saying just kept me in surprise. After the guy had explained what the show was he asked the guy what a western was. The guy answered him and one crazy question came right after the other. It was humiliating to see this. I know the guy was tired but come on, I'm in my twenties and I know what a western is and i know what Bonanza is even if i was bone tired like him. Which brings me to the question I had mentioned earlier.

Does todays youth, including the ones in their twenties, know about the shows of the past? Like that of Bonanza. About a year ago, i was speaking to my neighbor about the I Love Lucy show. About how they used to watch it when they were kids. I used to watch it myself along with andy giffeth show, bitwitched, i dream of Jeani and my personal favorite the munsters. Back to the story, Her grand duaghter had come home from school and walked in on us while we were talking about I love Lucy and she asked me and her grandmother what it was. At this time my mouth flew open and her grandmothers as well. I was surprised that she didn't know what the show was about because her mother always wathed it on the hallmark channel.

It's a shame that todays youth does not know about the shows that I used to watch with my parents and the very same ones they watched in their youth. Now-a-days todays youth are into some shows that makes our parents and our grandparent blush. Now don't get me wrong, there are some shows out there that are still family freindly like Switched at birth and once upon a time. But it seems as if the networks out there are gearing towards sex orinated shows. Why can't we just go back to the shows of our youth and our parents youth, when TV was acutally good to sit down and watch with the family? People will be surprised to see how the youth of today will react to them. I knew that i was when the girl's grandmother turned to the station that still played I love lucy. Now she can't get enough of it and is now currently watching I dream of Jeanie. She can't get enough of the shows.

1 comment:

  1. I love those old-time shows! Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, The Munsters... the list goes on and on. Kids nowadays only know about these shows if the show happens to get made into a movie. Ever wonder why so many old TV shows get made into movies these days, or why older movies get remade into a 'modern' version? Maybe there aren't enough new ideas. Or, maybe those with innovative ideas (like Dylan Knight) don't have the clout to get their books or screenplays made into movies. It makes you wonder, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete