Sunday, February 5, 2012

Writer's Block

Recently I've been goin throught a writer's block. Couldn't even think of a single word to write. Or better yet, I had the idea of what I wanted to write but couldn't put it down into words. As you know, I'm writing two different things right now, a short story series called Camelot's Return and Dylan Knight: Rush Against Time.

It all came to an end one night, while watching an episode of Merlin. I had gotten an idea on how to go about writing the second story, which I was pretty much stuck with it. So I wrote for about an hour as the ideas just kept flowing from my mind, to my hands and then to the computer. So I decided if I could write this story, then I could begin writting chpt. 13 of Rush Against Time.

I closed out the file for Camelot's Return and opened up the file for Dylan Knight. But nothing came and I wondered why I was having a hard time of writing it when I was having an easy time of writing the second story of Camelot's Return. I sat there typing the beginning over and over again at least 16 times in the span of a half an hour. Mind you it was the opening paragraph that I was having the most trouble with. After another 30 minutes flew by, an idea came to mind. I wondered, if you watched an episode of Merlin to help jump start your writting for Camelot's Return, when not try reading a book to help jump start the writing for the chpt. I got up from the laptop and walked over to the shelves of books that I have and picked out a book to read. Of all things it was the first book of the Alex Rider series. After reading the first few chpts. I had the inspiration that I needed to begin writing the chpt. Once again my writer's block was gone, the ideas flowed freely and I was writting agian.

So my advice for all of those who have writer's block and find that they can't write a single word but have the ideas of what you want to write, pick your favorite show to watch, or pick up  a book that you like to read, it doesn't matter which show, or which book you read or watch. Just as long as you think it may help you free your writing from the dreaded writer's block. If it helped me, it might just help you out too.

Happy writting every one.

1 comment:

  1. I've been there...many times. Writers block has plagued me the past couple of months. I appreciate any tips you have and I'm glad you're over your writers block. Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete