Monday, September 17, 2012

Good Bye Summer, Hello Fall

It's that time of year again... The air is turning cooler, more crisper and more importantly... the summer leaves are beginning to change from green to the beautiful colors of red, yellow and orange. This is the time of year that I truly enjoy.

I always enjoyed this time of year ever since I was a kid. Not only did it represent that Halloween was just around the corner but that of the beautiful colors that proceeded it. As a kid, I could always tell when the summer was about to give away to fall. It takes place during the middle of August to early September. I would always feel this... crispness in the air before it was actually felt by others and there would also be this smell. This smell was hard for me to describe as a child. but today i can find the words to describe it and you may even picked up on the smell yourself. The smell is that of the leaves turning colors and slowly drying just before falling from the tree. It's a faint smell but on certain days you can really smell it.

All these sensations that I felt in anticipation of Fall did something else to me. It revived something deep within me, like an animal awaking from hibernation. When I was a kid, the best way I could describe it at the time was, these feelings made my blood boil but in a good way because it literally did something underneath my skin which, and at the time, felt like blood. Since I'm older now, I can put them in better words, the feelings I felt as a child was like a part of me was waking up. Something deep that called to very depths of my soul. I know it's crazy or it sounds crazy but that what the fall season did to me and sometimes still does.

A few of years ago, back in the fall of 2009, I shared these feeling with a total stranger while passing the time away in the doctor's office with my mother. The stranger had asked me this very question: Why do you think you feel this strongly about the fall season? At the time I couldn't answer the question and I still can't today. The possible only explanation I have is that I was born during the months of fall. I guess that's the reason why I love fall so much but I'll never truly know the answer to it because ever since I can remember, I always loved the fall season.

1 comment:

  1. I was born at the very end of winter, but I still love fall. It's the beginning of the holiday season, which always makes me feel the happiest of any time of the year! And I like cold weather better than warm. It makes curling up with a good book under a blanket that much nicer.

    ReplyDelete