Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Childhood Memories of Halloween Past

We all have memories of Halloween. How much of the candy our parents stole from our candy stash. How sick we were the following morning because we didn't listen to our parents when they said do eat to much of the candy or you'll make yourself sick. And how could we forget what kind of costumes we wore while we trick or treated.

For me it was the costumes, ohhhhh the costumes. I loved those costumes because I can remember each and every single one of them from very time I can remember. I remember the costumes because they were all each hand made by my parents, well most of them were anyway. I don't know if it was because my parents didn't have enough money to go and buy a costume, not saying that my family wasn't poor or anything, they weren't, or if they enjoyed making the costumes because they were crafters. They sowed quilts, pillows, blankets and pretty much everything else you could think of by hand. not only did they sew, they also crouched things as well. But this is story for another time. I also loved the costumes they made because they were unlike all the others costumes the kids wore because they lasted the longest than other store bought costumes.

There is one costume I remember the most out of all of them because my parents worked the hardest on and made me stand for longest times to get the measurements just right so that I wouldn't trip over it in the dark. I wanted to be a witch for that year, yes I know that's for girls but since i lived in a rural area, I was never criticised for it and not to mention everyone liked my parents work and was always impressed by how it all turned out.

I remember standing outside in a chair, while my mom laid the material over me to begin the measurements of where the fabric needed to be. All the pinning, i learned that I had to be very still for this because if I didn't, I would accidentally become a human pin cushion. LOL!!! Then there was one memory that stands out the most for me of all that time... the finding of a stick for beginnings of the witches broom.

My dad took me out into the woods to find a branch that had fallen from a tree that would be the easiest for me to handle and to carry around with me. Not to mention to keep it from being so heavy after it was all finished. When we had picked the perfect stick, it was time to find the material for brush part of the broom. Since we were surrounded by fields, my dad went and got some hay from the neighboring field came back home and began his work on finishing the broom.

The whole of the time to make this costume was a whole month and a half. Afterwards I couldn't wait for the big day to arrive. The day where I could show off my parents hard work, Halloween. To this day, I wish I had a picture of the costume to show you but alas, there is none. But the childhood memory will stay with for the rest of my life...


Happy Halloween everyone and remember to keep safe while trick-or-treating.

2 comments:

  1. I can remember all my costumes too. I used to look forward to Halloween from the time I could remember. It's still one of my favorite holidays. Today, there's a nip of fall in the air that got me to thinking about Halloween. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's in the air alright and have you noticed the sunsets as it gets closer to halloween night? The sunsets are getting creepier and spookier as it closer. What was your favorite one that you wore as a kid?

      Delete